Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It's at this point I lose 75% of my readers...

I saw this...


and I realized that if I had been there I would have stood up and said this,

"President Obama, I have $200 in my pocket right now that I will GIVE to Ms. Hughes on a few conditions. First, I expect everyone else in this room to reach into their pockets and give what they can in order to help this poor woman and that includes you, Mr. President, and you Mr. Governor. Because, the Declaration of Independence starts with the words "We, The People.." and that means the people of this country help one another voluntarily."

"Folks may say that we can't help Ms. Hughes, but I say Yes, we can. All of us in this room can give voluntarily from our hearts to help this woman, rather than have the Federal Government forcibly TAKE the money from us, waste about 45% of it in overhead costs, mismanagement and theft, and then end up building Ms Hughes a kitchen that doesn't work and giving her a toilet that doesn't flush."

"Second, I would like you, Mr. President to study up on Davy Crockett, who was once in a similar situation and realized that the money is not his to give. It is not yours to give Mr. President. It is mine to give. It is mine to decide who shall receive, it is mine to watch carefully over."

"Third, I rescind my statement that I would only give to Ms. Hughes based on the two prior conditions, because my actions and charity should not be based on the actions and thoughts of others. It should not be based on the Federal and state governments taking 40% of my income to give to people to lie, cheat, and steal. I will gladly give this money to Ms. Hughes, of my own free will, because I have compassion and every year I have given more money to charity than Vice President Joe Biden has given to all charities in a ten year period."

"We can do it. 'We, the people'. Not 'You, the Government'. It is up to individuals to help one another and stop looking to the government to pick up the slack on the rope we have laid down. Pick up the rope with me, pull your own weight, and if you see someone that can't pull their own weight, bend down, pick up their rope and help them pull as well."

"Here you go Ms. Hughes, and I'm sure that President Obama, a man who, along with his wife, last year made over $4 million dollars, will happily match it dollar for dollar, or even 10 to 1, with money from his own personal accounts."



On a side note, I think Erik E. asks a few good questions:

You know you cannot just “enter” an Obama town hall meeting. They give out tickets in advance. Who gets the tickets? People who stand in line and wait. Who tells people when and where Obama will appear next? Certainly not the Secret Service who has to protect this man. Not the MSM, who are too busy telling us how great he is without asking any critical questions.

Sooooo… how does a 61 year-old homeless woman who’s living in a pickup truck with her son JUST HAPPEN to get a ticket so she can VERY PUBLICALLY ask Prez. Obama for a HOUSE? Anyone? Who pushes her up on stage? She’s right at the front of the crowd. Did she just happen to get a seat there?

Now, within moments of this happening, it’s trumpeted all over the news. AND, surprise, surprise, the wife of State Representative Nick Thompson, Chene Thompson JUST HAPPENS to have a spare house worth $150,000 lying around, so she GIVES it to this unemployed, homeless, living-in-a-truck woman. They’ve been homeless for “more than a year”, which coincidentally, predates the current housing and banking crisis by quite a while. How did they learn about the “Obama Town Hall and Tent Revival”? Were homeless people simply rounded up? Did someone pre-canvas the area in search of “great, tear-jerking stories”? Of all the people in the audience, SHE’S one of the ones Obama chooses to ask a question?

BTW-the taxes which will be charged on this “free house” will bankrupt the poor woman. Taxes are levied based on the home’s assessed value, not on the basis of it being a “free gift”.

We now return to our regular comic book silliness.


3 comments:

Michael Xavier said...

STICK TO COMICS!

In all seriousness, you match my sentiments, so count me in that 25%. I also give both money AND time to charity, more than I really can afford at times. But, well, call me crazy, but I don't like the idea of my charity to go to "worthy causes" like bailouts for poorly-run banks and corporations and to send the well-off old lady who lives down my street an extra $300 social security bonus so she can stick it in her mattress. I prefer my money go to causes that are meaningful to me, like breast cancer research and feeding the local homeless of my community. But now I will have LESS to give to those causes because I'll have to dump more of my money into tax dollars for causes that I simply don't care about or even think are necessary for the people of this country.

How about this novel idea - increase the amount a tax payer can write off for charitable contributions? This way it doesn't need to unnecessarily pass through government hands and go to the people who really need it. Wait... less money for trillion dollar "relief" packages. Now I know why that can't be possible.

SallyP said...

For some reason, the picture you posted, isn't showing up for me. But you certainly have raised an interesting point.

Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

It's a Youtube video, you might have to try a different browser or go directly to this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-88Il-4nby0&eurl