Sunday, February 08, 2009

That one day a month I pick up my comics

Yup, Saturday was the one day a month I pick up my comics and today is the one day a month I write down what I think about yesterday. Here goes:

Secret Six #6 It's interesting that the cover doesn't appear in the book but happens right after the book ends. I, for one was appalled at the unveiling of Junior, surprised at what Janette really is, and completely dumbfounded by what happens at the end of the book. After finishing it, I felt like Catman on the cover. But, it was a great book.

El Diablo #6. Ehh. I bought this series because of the title. It did have Lazarus Lane in it, but it just didn't click with me. I won't pick it up if it becomes a regular title.

Birds of Prey #126 hmmmm, not sure if I liked this one or not. I always enjoyed the Caclulator (even when he was a backup villian) and I'm not sure if I enjoy this new incarnation or not. It does set-up for the end of the book and gives a good intro to the end of Oracle. I'm not happy about either outcome.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold #1 The art was more cartoony than I liked but I have to admit this might go onto my pull list. Heck, Jonah Hex is on the cover!!! This looks to be a fun book.

Jonah Hex #40 Dear God in heaven, every page of this story made my stomach churn. It was grisly, it was gorey, it was totally uncalled for and it is one of the best stories in this 3+ year run. This one was even darker than the 'little piggies' story. I still get chills thinking back over it. Brrrrr.

Final Crisis #7 Okay, I have now officially urinated away $28. Honestly, halfway through this issue I put it down and started reading something else! Yeah, tell me that since I didn't buy all the cross-overs I didn't get the whole story. Yeah, I'll tell ya that I shouldn't have to spend quadruple the amount of money to still get a lousy story. When it comes out in trade I probably WON'T spend an evening in B&N reading it. I'm now officially not buying anymore DC big events.

Blue Beetle #35 This book continues to be good, even when it is sliding into cancelation.

The Brave and the Bold #21 I've never been a GL fan and when the talk turns to Oans my brain turns off. I ended up putting this one down to read something else.

The Haunted Tank #3 I haven't gotten to this one yet.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Heh. I have all of them with the exception of El Diablo. Do give the Haunted Tank a try, it's a wee bit on the outrageous side, but shamelessly amusing in a really warped sort of way.

Secret Six is so good, I can hardly stand it. But I did give a gasp when the traitor was revealed. NOOOOO! He's my favorite! I'm sure there is a twist.

Jonah Hex was good, dagnabit!

Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

I just realized that after the various mini-series end and the other books are canceled, I'll only be buying Secret Six, Jonah Hex and two B&B books.

Wow, I can save up for those Herbie collections I've been wanting.