Friday, May 08, 2009

Place title here:

Things just keep coming down the pike. April was topsy-turvey with the passing away of my grandmother and my Lovely Wife & I thought that May would be somewhat mild, schedule-wise.

Boy, were we wrong. My neighbor decided that he would pay for materials if I would provide the labor for replacing our common fence. Sounds like a good deal. Fencing in Oklahoma is somewhat of an arcane science. Fences here are stockade type, meaning wooden panels 8 ft long & 6 ft high attached to:
  1. Landscape timbers (normal budget, rots within 2 years)
  2. Treated 4x4s (bigger budget, rots within 6 years)
  3. Metal poles (even bigger budget, doesn't rot or rust)

Neighbor decided on option 3. Also realize that the soil composition in Ok is clay. So I higher my Eldest son and his buddy that has a playground installation business. Yesterday we were to get the holes drilled and the posts set into concrete (I had already highered Youngest to tear down prior fence).

With 85% humidity, the threat of rain, and either concrete or utility lines placed almost every 8 ft where we needed to set the poles, these two strapping men worked their way through some stuff that would have had me cursing like a sailor. Darkness fell before we could start mixed concrete because three of the holes had to be hand dug.

But this post was supposed to be about May, and not about fence, so to continue: we have other home repairs scheduled; a two day video shoot for our children's church (wherein I get to tell about manna and quail using live quail!); a sudden, unexpected trip out of town (more on that later); an appearance at a local eatery while Food Network shoots an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives; and finally a game night (20+ people playing boardgames for 6 hours), a Stamp Camp (24 women making greeting cards for 8 hours), and a trip to Wichita to play MORE boardgames! Oh, and Memorial Day too!

Don't worry, we'll still have some bang-up Jonah Hex reviews and a few other surprises that I'm working on. But right now I'm kinda tired and the day just started.

Have a fun week-end!

2 comments:

Abe Lucas said...

And I thought you just *wrote* about Jonah Hex---this post makes you sound like you *are* him!

Condolences to you on the passing of your grandmother.

SallyP said...

Urgh. Sounds like you are having one heck of a time. It seems as though annoying stuff always seems to come in clumps. Sorry about your Grandmother.

Hopefully, things will begin to improve soon.