Thursday, September 10, 2009

September 11th, eight years ago today.

I haven't posted much over the past two weeks, traveling for work, family and a home remodel just kept taking priority over a comic book blog. Some time ago I stumbled upon the 2,996 project and volunteered to remember one of the thousands of people murdered on this day eight years ago.

Eight years ago...I had overslept past my alarm and my wife's clock radio came on with news about a plane that had struck the World Trade Center. We snapped on the TV and I saw the hole in the tower. I looked at my wife and said "It hit dead center. This was no accident, this is an attack."

I started throwing my clothes on, gobbled down a breakfast and was heading out the door when I glanced at the TV and saw the second plane slam into the South Tower. I ran out the door and headed to work before things went into lock down (I was working on an Air Force Base at the time). I made the thirty minute drive in less than twenty-five and listened throughout the day as the third plane crashed into the Pentagon and the fourth one crashed into a farmer's field. When the towers fell, it was completely unbelievable.

But for the people and families involved it changed everything. Being in Oklahoma City, we can somewhat relate to the terror and shock of such an attack. Here, then is my tribute to Richard Joseph Cudina.

Richard Joseph Cudina

Richard worked in the North Tower of the World Trade Center on the 105th floor for Cantor Fitzgerald, starting with them in 2000. But Richard was more than his work. He was a guy who liked to get out and do things.

When he was younger he would go snow skiing throughout America and Europe. After a hip surgery he had to give up skiing but took up golf and flying helicopters around Manhattan. He also worked as a cruise director after he graduated from Kean University.

Richard was married to Georgia Sedelmeyer in July of 1996 and they lived in Glen Gardner, NJ.

Folks have described as energetic, fun-loving, loud, and living life at full speed. Richard once told his brother that he would like to be remembered "He wanted us to smoke cigars, drink margaritas and pina coladas, and he'd pick up the tab," said his brother, Chris. "He wanted his remains scattered over the ocean someplace beautiful."

So today, when you pause and think about the people from all over the world that lost their lives in this act of war, remember Richard and light up a cigar or have a margarita in his honor.

Always Remember, Never Forget

3 comments:

Barbara said...

We lost so much that day. Thanks for sharing.

I remembered Joseph Roberto.

Peace!

SallyP said...

Amen to that.

Blogger said...

VaporFi is the best electronic cigarettes provider on the market.