Monday, March 17, 2008

Bouquets & Brickbats

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't post about current comics that much. I don't buy enough to drive the 20 miles to the store every week, but I do have opinions. even though they are late:

Bouquets:
  • Seeing the awning copy owned by J. Lopez (AKA Jose Luis Garcia Lopez) in Bat Lash #3
  • Booster Gold actually TALKING Sinestro out of a evil plan in Booster Gold #2 (I'm trying to play catch-up here folks. Cut me an ever-lovin' break. How can I keep up on the great comics of today when I'm trying to locate every appearance of SCALPHUNTER?!?!?!?!)
  • I LOVE the changing narrative tone in Jonah Hex. One issue has a straight-forward narrative, the next has none, the next is told from the pov of a character, another is written like a dime-novel. This is a fantastic book.

Brickbats:

  • I'm not sure I like the two-tale format of Justice League of America. There are just too few pages in the book to be able to do that without me feeling cheated on the main story.
  • They killed Cliff Carmichael in Suicide Squad after finding the best use for him in the DCU. I was hoping he would become the Anti-Oracle.
  • I think I know why I'm not enjoying the Justice League of America. In a team book, we get to learn all about the various team members and their supporting cast. However, in JLA, all we ever get of Supes, Bats, & Wondy is the typical iconic superness of them. There is no background, no emotion, no support at all. Of course this is because all of that is stuffed into their own books. What does that leave us? Red Tornado, Vixen, and Black Lightning. uhhhhhhhhh, not so much, at least for me. This will probably be on my drop list.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Yeah, Justice League has been a bit on the dull side lately. Well, actually forever.

*sigh*

Now Booster Gold on the other hand, is sensational!

Jonah Hex is always good, although I must admit that the artwork in the very latest one had me scratching my head, trying to figure out what was going on.

As for Scalphunter, I just found out that he was reincarnated as Matt O'Dare over in the James Robinson-penned "Starman" books. I just discovered Starman, and boy howdy, are they good! Scalphunter becomes the sheriff of Opal City! He hangs out with the Shade! It's so cool!

Are you picking up Blue Beetle yet?

Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

Yup I'm getting Blue Beetle, but I just realized that my comics guy forgot to put it in my bin!?! Now it'll be another month but at least I'll have 2 beetles waiting for me.